Ecotourism in Ghana
Travel holidays “Africa’s Variety” – the programme:
During the first week a four-day trip (three nights) to Kumasi and surrounding areas: visiting places of historic interest in the Ashanti kingdom and traditional religion, the huge central market, the nearby village of Bonwire, which is famous for traditional handicrafts and the large, enchanting and peaceful Bosomtwi crater-lake where we will have our overnight accommodation, Lake Point Guesthouse, directly by the lakeside.
During the second week a five-day excursion along the Ghanaian West coast to the scenic fishing town of Elmina with its famous ancient Portuguese slave trade castle. Sleeping usually in a well secured tree house of Kakum Rainforest National Park (alternatively in a picturesque hotel); next morning an exciting walk over suspension bridges between the tops of tall rainforest trees and a informative hike (about one hr) through the forest with a ranger. Later travelling to the harbour city of Takoradi and further west, passing large coconut and rubber tree plantations: overnight stay in a beautiful hotel near Axim. On the next day, an excursion with paddle canoes on a large lake to Nzulezo, a village on stilts, day trip or eventually with overnight stay in a KASAPA owned traditional building on stilts. Travelling back to a beach resort at Ampenyi Beach (near Elmina); next day a visit to optional museum and crafts market in Cape Coast Castle.
A professional drumming and dancing ensemble’s performance
A big party with friends and staff of the KASAPA project
Upon agreement a day-trip to Accra
An extensive guided walk through Nyanyano to acquaint you with our local community
During the third week we will take an excursion to Mesomagor, a remote village of cocoa farmers about 90 minutes north of Cape Coast (two overnight stays). Here you can get discover rural production modes, e.g. the processing of palm nuts, cassava and cocoa. You can taste fresh palm-wine and get to know the villagers. Mesomagor offers a spledid dance troupe, a bamboo drumming orchestra and the traditional evening entertainment of lively, humorous story telling – village life at it’s best!
From KASAPA Centre, you can take shorter trips to the surrounding areas (e.g. to the canoe harbour of Nyanyano, to a market nearby, to Accra), on your own or with a local companion; invitations to various social gatherings and festivities may arise. We can also arrange individual meetings e.g. with people of your own profession or visits to schools.
Individual arrangements for the fourth week will be worked out locally or according to pre-booking agreement
- Programme as described. Also viable for guests with disabilities. (Please, contact us before booking)
- Accommodation: in twin, double or (with surcharge) single rooms in KASAPA Centre resp. during excursion trips in comfortable hotels / lodges; 3 nights in rather modest village guesthouses; 1 night in a jungle tree house
- Board: half board or occasionally full board (including lunch during excursion trips. If contacted before booking, we can make allowances for special dietary requests.
- Transport with a KASAPA-owned van (not air-conditioned); transfers from/to Accra airport
- All expenses for site-visits
- English or (eventually) German speaking tour guide, competent personnel at your service
- If you book through “Ghana-Reisen” (see below): compensation of greenhouse gas emissions caused by your air travel. More
- flights to/from Ghana
- visa for Ghana (currently 110,– €)
- private insurance policies
- unlisted meals, dessert after dinner (outside of KASAPA Centre)
- personal expenses, tips etc.
Minimum number of participants: 4. – Maximum: 12
Requirements: Despite tropical temperatures (usually between 27 – 32°) and high levels of air humidity, average physical condition will be sufficient. Important are flexibility and adaptability as everyday-life in Africa does not always go according to plans and expectations.
More information, contact: email@example.com